Minerals Exploration Data Pack
The Minerals Exploration Data Pack is a portable external hard drive featuring the latest technical data within an easy to navigate interface.
It includes a large selection of open-file geophysical, geochemical and geological datasets, minerals reports and prospectivity studies.
It is the essential tool for quickly and easily recognising minerals opportunities in New Zealand.
The 2017 Data Pack includes the following feature content:
- South Island Airborne Survey - a magnetic and radiometric survey covering over 30,000 km² of Southland, Nelson-Marlborough, Murchison and Otago. Processed and unprocessed data is now available for an area of more than 10,000 km². As the survey progresses newly available data will be added to the NZP&M online exploration database. This new data will be accessible via a link on the Data Pack.
- Regional Soil Geochemistry Survey - a systematic grid-based regional geochemical baseline survey of chemical analyte variation of the upper South Island.
This builds on the data available on the 2016 Data Pack:
- PETLAB: National Rock and Geoanalytical Database – a snapshot of New Zealand’s national rock, mineral and geoanalytical database.
- QMAP Seamless GIS with Structural Measurements – a new pre-release (2016) version of GNS Sciences 1:250,000 Geological Map of New Zealand including an expanded structural measurement layer.
- PETLAB-QMAP Derivitive Maps – summarised whole rock geochemical data applied to each of New Zealand’s geological map units.
- GERM - The Geological Resource Map of New Zealand – an updated mineral occurrence database consisting of a compilation of selected commodities tailored specifically for the New Zealand minerals industry.
- RegChem – a significantly updated compilation of regional exploration geochemical analyses from open-file mining company reports.
- Geochemical Atlas of Southern New Zealand - a systematic grid-based regional geochemical baseline survey of chemical analyte variation of southern New Zealand.
- GIS DATA – a comprehensive GIS dataset supplied as an ArcMap project and shapefiles. The selection of data presented ranges from regional geophysical surveys, prospectivity studies and mineral report areas, to geochemical data, drill holes and core samples.
The 2017 Data Pack is available on a USB drive. There is an administrative fee of NZ$100 per unit including postage (excluding tax).
Other sources of data
The New Zealand Government is committed to open data, transparency and supports the oil and gas industry with up-to-date prospectivity data. Most of the technical data listed below is available free of charge.
- The Online Permitting System - a register of all current and historical permits, recent applications, and Block Offers.
- The minerals permit webmaps featuring current prospecting, exploration and mining permits.
- Exploration reports and open-file data for all New Zealand exploration since the 1880s on the NZP&M Exploration Database.